Monday, May 30, 2016

Never Lose the Wonder

Anyone who knows me, knows I love the game of golf.  I’ve been blessed to play some amazing courses, and have made and shared some profound memories with family and friends around this game.  I started to play the game when in college, and my most recent round was this morning.  I’m not a great golfer, but I love to play the game and to me there is still a wonder about it.  I’ve never had a hole in one, but even this morning, one tee shot on a par 3 for a moment had me wondering as it was tracking towards the pin.

Yesterday was the final round of the Dean and Deluca Invitational at the Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas. The course is referred to as Hogan’s Alley as Ben Hogan won there five times when the tournament was called the Colonial National.  This year Jordan Spieth entered the final round in the lead. Jordan is one of the most remarkable golfers I have ever watched and to follow his career is a lot of fun.  He loves the game - that is obvious.  He’s only 22 years old and for some has earned the name ‘boy wonder’ because of his youth. 

Jordan started his round with 9 pars and was behind by a stroke or two at the turn.  What happened next was not surprising to those of us who are fans.  Though he had suffered recent demises at the Masters and other tournaments in the last rounds, this week such would not be the case.  He birdied 10, 11 and 12, and then birdied 16, 17, and 18.  He won convincingly.  I had taped the end of the telecast and watched it back later last night.  I knew he had birdied the last three, but was totally impressed to see how he did it.  He made long putts on both the 16th and the 18th. 

What happened on the 17th led to a moment that inspired this article.  He was over the green and chipped in with an amazing shot.  When the ball went in – he just looked up with that stunned ‘can you believe that?’ look that reminded me – he has not lost the wonder of the game!!!  It was awesome. 

Now let’s shift gears.  I’ve known Jesus as my Savior and Lord for 43 years now and have been serving Him in churches on staff for the last 39.  Yesterday I witnessed the wonder of a middle-aged man responding to the gospel and giving his life to Christ.  The wonder of it all lit up his face profoundly.  I will not soon forget that.  I’ve seen it before – and I expect to see it again.

I’m writing to encourage you – the reader – to never lose the wonder of who Jesus is and all He has done for you.  The devil will do his best to get you sidetracked or doubting the faithfulness of God.  This I know – the Lord is faithful.  Psalm 77:14 says ‘You are the God who works wonders; you have made known your might among the peoples.’ 


There’s even a promise for our kids.  Psalm 22:30 says ‘Our children will also serve him.  Future generations will hear about the wonders of the Lord.’  I love that. I leave you with Psalm 105:5a which says ‘Remember the wonders he has performed.’   As you live for Christ, never lose the wonder of it all.  What a mystery and precious gift that salvation is available by grace through faith.  Oh the wonder of it all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment