Friday, July 6, 2018

Soccer, Tears, and Eternity

Today is my day off.  I'm watching World Cup Soccer.  I'm tired of the soccer hating.  To me the game is like music - a symphony that may take a while to develop - but I find it quite interesting and respect the game immensely.  Having raised a son who played in hundreds of games from 7 years old til the present, I have huge respect for the athleticism and heart of the athletes.

To be sure there are some challenges.  There aren't tons of goals, but there is an enormous amount of strategy.  The coaches and athletes know exactly what they are doing.  I specifically don't like faking injuries.  I've seen players brought off the field with serious injuries.  To fake one is upsetting.  I think the refs should give red cards for faking an injury!  Throw those guys out of the game!

As I'm writing, France is leading Uruguay 2-0.  Both clubs are excellent and beat powerhouses Argentina and Portugal just to get to the quarterfinals.  The level of play is elite for sure.  Both goals have been strong and both teams are playing hard.  At this moment of typing, we are at the 84:05 mark of the game.

One scene has had the biggest impact on me.  A shot of the fans in the stands showed a young boy wearing a Uruguay jersey weeping after the France's second goal.  I get that.  He loves his country, his team, probably the game and who knows all that is going through that little guys mind.  I don't mean to disparage him at all but I want to finish with a somber reminder.

When is the last time you wept over souls for eternity?  This young guy is weeping because it looks like his country will be eliminated from the World Cup 2018.  I salute his passion for the game and for life - but I pray for his understanding and more for yours and mine for eternity.  Take a moment after reading this and think about the reality that eternity is forever.  Everyone will spend eternity - forever - in one of two places.  You, your family, your friends, your neighbors, your co-workers and people you meet and never meet.

Trusting Jesus as Savior and Lord is the wisest decision anyone will ever make.  I encourage you to consider the claims of Christ and put your trust in Him!!!  I love sports.  There's a line in the movie Lalaland that says 'people love what other people are passionate about'.  That is evidenced right now in a stadium in Russia.  People love the passion for the game that has been born out in the hearts of the national teams and everyone filling the rosters.

Be passionate about the gospel.  Serve the Lord with all your heart.  Bring people to Jesus.  Don't be silent.  Share the gospel.  Show the gospel.  There's no other hope - and without Christ eternity will be spent with weeping and gnashing of teeth.  The good news is you don't have to go to hell.  Heaven is a prepared place for prepared people-  and the way to prepare is to realize you have nothing to offer and are without hope apart from the merits of Christ.

Game's now over.  France won.  Uruguay is indeed out.  But life is not a game.  Eternity is for real.  Put your trust in him today!  In heaven God will wipe away all tears!!!  Repent of your sin!  Believe on Jesus!  Receive His love gift of eternal life, forgiveness of sin and salvation!!!  Do it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment