Sunday, May 2, 2021

A Rest Stop on the Thruway

About 56 miles from our home, there is a rest stop on the NYS Thruway.  On our way home from Ohio today we stopped there.  We did the same things two years ago.  Only two years ago, we got gas and I asked my wife - 'Do you mind driving?'  She did not, and we headed home.  We were bringing our daughter home from her sophomore year in college.  After we unloaded the rental van, we were going to take it back.  That plan soon changed.  I began to develop some stroke like symptoms, and soon we were in an ambulance headed to the hospital.  That began a journey over the next months unlike any we had ever known.  To keep the story short, I was diagnosed with a form of meningitis I should have never gotten - but I did.  My central nervous system was attacked.  I know now the first miracle was that we got home before the difficulties began.  I had been dealing with some mild headaches - but didn't think a lot of it - I know now my brain was swelling.  

On May 4, 2019, I thought I might die.  I knew instantly I didn't want to - for several reasons.  I'm not afraid to die, I just still wanted to live.  We had just spent 2 days with five grandchildren in Ohio, and we had just brought our youngest daughter home who had two more years of college.  Ministry was becoming a joy again and I believed God had more in store.  For everyone who has ever prayed for me - thank you from the bottom of my heart.  To my wife - Kathy you are one of the key reasons I'm still alive.  The Lord used you to offer so much support and hope.  I could never thank you enough.  Each of my kids were a blessing as was our incredible church family. The young lady who was in college was so strong as her Dad lost the ability to speak clearly and things were not looking good.  She would go on to finish her college degree in just a year and a half more (finishing a semester early).  Today I've been 100% cleared and I know it's the mercy of God.  To Him be all the glory.

So back to the rest stop.  As is often the case on long trips, Kathy and I rotate the driving.  She was driving today as we approached that rest stop.  We decided it was time for a short break and then it hit me (and she already knew) - this was the rest stop.  I drove home this time.  All is well.  God is faithful.  Two years later I got to watch that same daughter graduate yesterday - a day I wasn't sure I would ever see.  Tonight I'm one grateful man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment