Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Just call me Grandpa

I've heard the comments for years.  People love being grandparents.  You pretty much get the impression that it is the greatest thing in the whole world!  Months ago, my wife and I learned that our day had come.  Our first grandchild was on the way!  What would it be like to be grandparents?  What would it be like to have a grandchild?

I remember my grandparents.  I was blessed to know three of them very well.  One grandfather died before I was born.  The other three each had a profound impact on my life.  Just days ago, I experienced the joy of holding my first grandchild in my arms.  A beautiful baby girl was born to our oldest daughter and son-in-law just last week.  You know what I'm going to say - but I think I'll say it anyway.  She's beautiful.  And she has grabbed my heart already - but then again she did before she was even born.

You see, life begins at conception.  So, I've been a grandpa for about nine months.  I just got to meet her this weekend.  Her Mom and Dad are doing great, and my wife and I, along with our youngest daughter enjoyed a fabulous time celebrating this birth.  To be honest, it took me back to when her mother was born.  That was one of the greatest day of my life - ever - period - exclamation point!  This was yet another.

I don't feel like a grandpa.  In fact, I still think I'm about 35, until I look in the mirror and find myself asking, 'Who is that old man?'  Life is full of seasons.  This is a new one.  I welcome it.  I'm grateful for our kids, and now for our grandchild.  To keep the fire burning, family plays a huge role.  Family has a way of reminding you of who you are.  They know you best, and love you anyways.

God is so good.  He is faithful.  He blesses us beyond what we deserve or could imagine.  That little baby girl was formed by Him in her mother's womb.  That's what God told Jeremiah - 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you'.  And the psalmist said, 'You knit me together in my mother's womb.'

Children are a heritage from the Lord.  They are also a great testimony of his power.  We really are fearfully and wonderfully made as the psalmist also declared.  What a miracle.  I kissed that little girl on the cheek this morning and said goodbye.  We drove home the 500 plus miles we live apart.  I may be 500 miles away, but that precious family is very close in my heart.  I'm praying for them.  I know they pray for me.  I'm so grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you,Grandpa Aubrey! I know you will be a phenominal blessing to Gloria and the many more to come. I have SO many sweet memories of both sets of my grandparents!Something extra special about being spoiled and getting special things from them! And how blessed you are now-thanks to modern technology for SKYPE and Facetime...they will become a HUGE part of your communication with her in the days,weeks,and years to come! ENJOY those moments! :) Blessings.Jenn Riese We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete