Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Last Year

It's been almost three months since I've written on this blog.  It's been an interesting time in my life.  I took my first ever sabbatical for one month.  That is something I would highly recommend and will write more about soon.  In addition, I've faced one of the greatest challenges of my life.  My sister (only sibling) was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  This past year has been a test for sure.  It's been a year of highs and lows.  I'm learning once again, life is like that.

Early in the year, one of our administrative assistants was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  She didn't make it.  She is now with the Lord.  Her tumor was the worst kind.  I still talk to her husband and he is a great friend.  I am honored to be his pastor.  Mid-year, my mother-in-law faced open heart surgery in her 80's.  To God be the glory, it was successful.  The Lord sustained my wife, her family, and all of us close to the situation, and for that we praise Him.

In the fall, I took a sabbatical.  I way overestimated what I could accomplish academically toward a doctoral thesis, and way underestimated what would happen in my own heart.  I was refueled by the much needed rest, the powerful research, and time away.  I found that to keep the fire burning, you need faith, family and a future.  I am blessed and grateful for that month and will never forget it.

My first week of sabbatical, I learned that my precious sister was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Thoughts raced and my mind needed to stabilize and find rest in the Lord.  My heart ached for my sister, her husband, her two sons, and our mother.  Thankfully, it is not the worst kind of tumor, but it is a battle for sure.  On December 12, she had successful surgery to remove a significant amount of the tumor and will begin treatments this month in her battle with this dreaded disease.

I see in her, so many things about my Lord.  I see peace, and gratitude.  I see hope and truth.  I see grace and mercy.  I see perseverance and endurance.  I see His love.  I pray the Lord heals her, sustains her, and that she has many wonderful years ahead to enjoy her family and friends.

In ministry, this was the first year of our Keep the Fire Burning conference.  We had 200 leaders from 82 churches and 7 states.  It was an amazing time with the Lord and His people last February.  It was a dream come true.  This year's conference is scheduled for March 4-6.  I hope you will join us.  More on that later as well.

I'm saying goodbye to 2011.  I'm saying hello to 2012.  I'm holding out for hope.  I've learned that you've got to keep the fire burning, even when you face life's toughest tests.  The Lord is faithful.  He always has been.  He always will be.  On the bright side, I am now a grandfather.  I will meet that precious little girl in the next three weeks sometime when she makes her arrival.  I can hardly wait.

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment