Monday, April 8, 2013

A Wedding, A Church, and a Trip Home

When I was young in ministry, I dreaded doing wedding ceremonies.  There was always a lot of anxiety, many people wanting certain things this way or that way.  At times I had deep concerns about the couple getting married and whether or not they were ready to get married.  Also, weddings can have a lot of drama with them.  At times, they bring out the worst in people.  To be honest - funerals were almost easier.  Don't get me wrong - and believe me I don't like funerals - but in that hour people are just grateful for comfort and your presence, and I was grateful to be a messenger of hope.

Now, it's the opposite.  I dread funerals.  I've seen enough pain in my life.  I've witnessed enough suffering.  I've watched hundreds of people weep in hospitals, funeral homes, churches and gravesides in my 35 years of ministry.  I'm still grateful for the opportunity to minister comfort and encouragement to those who are hurting and to be a reminder to them of the hope that is ours in Jesus Christ.  However, I long for that land where there is no more pain, no more tears, and no more suffering.

Weddings have taken on a new meaning to me.  Having been married now for more than 30 years, and being blessed to share those years with an amazing wife, I'm pretty stoked about marriage.  You make memories that are amazing.  You go through tough times and happy times but you go through them together and come out stronger.  You raise a family and then have grandchildren!  You watch your kids struggle at times but more often then not thrive in ways beyond your own abilities or expecations.  It's amazing.

Saturday night at 4pm, I stood outside in the beautiful New York spring with the sun shining with the bride and groom, their attendants and maybe 125 guests to join a man and woman in marriage.  I have a lot of hope for them.  I'm excited about their future.  They have GREAT days ahead of them.  To be the one to lead them in that moment was an honor and a privilege.

Sunday, we drove home, but decided to go through Albany so we could attend the church of a young pastor we hold in high regard.  Pastor Roscoe Lilly has been a friend for the last five years.  We've learned from each other, and he has spoken at Keep the Fire Burning (our pastors/leaders conference), as well as the weekend services at Northside.  To visit Northstar Church in Clifton Park and see the work that God is doing through Roscoe, his wife Maryanna and that fellowship was a wonderful blessing.

The gospel still works.  It works in the hearts of individuals, in marriages, and in families.  It also works in any community where His word is preached and His heart is expressed through His body - the church.  I saw it again this weekend and it made a difference in my life.  I pray He can use me to make a difference this week.  All for His glory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment